This straightforward curried butternut squash soup recipe is simply good, creamy and seasoned with ginger and curry paste. Your seek for the perfect squash soup is over!
Why make butternut squash soup when you may make curried butternut squash soup? Sure, the Thai flavors of coconut, ginger and curry are the proper match to this evenly candy orange squash. Earlier than Alex and I discovered to prepare dinner, I keep in mind some buddies invited us over for a comfortable fall meal and made a soup like this one. I used to be floored that soup might style this good. It’s silky, creamy, and warming from the within out. It’s considered one of our favourite butternut squash recipes of the season (besides this butternut squash risotto).
Bought an Immediate Pot? Additionally strive Straightforward Immediate Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Is it straightforward? Are there time savers?
Sure, we’d name this a straightforward curried butternut squash soup. BUT, that is with the robust caveat: peeling and chopping a butternut squash will not be very easy. In truth, we’d name it a little bit of a ache! Nevertheless, Alex has helped me to comprehend that there’s worth within the chopping course of. He activates music and jams whereas he cuts: he says he finds it soothing! I’ve began to attempt to channel that kind of zen in my chopping: and I’ve really began to take pleasure in it too. That mentioned: chopping a butternut squash could be a little tough: see the part beneath for all our secrets and techniques.
Time saver: Should you’d slightly shortcut wrangling the season’s hottest squash, you’ll be able to shortcut it! Merely use frozen cubed butternut squash: it’s out there at most mainstream groceries within the frozen aisle.
Tips on how to minimize butternut squash, the straightforward(ish) means
Alex and I stayed away from butternut squash for years as a result of it takes too lengthy to peel! (And candy potatoes style just about the identical…proper?) However now, we’re armed with our favourite methodology for peeling and chopping squash! Because the best solution to present find out how to minimize butternut squash is to truly present you, we made you a video (beneath).
Tip: One in all our favourite suggestions for peeling a butternut squash: use a squash peeler! It’s serrated, which makes it simpler than a standard peeler. Right here’s the serrated vegetable peeler we use.
Tips on how to make curried butternut squash soup: the essential steps
When you’ve bought the butternut squash underneath management, the remainder of this recipe is a breeze! Listed here are a number of notes and recommendations on this curried butternut squash soup:
- Chop: First, chop the entire substances: the squash, after which onion, ginger, and carrots. Within the recipe beneath, we’ve linked to all our knife expertise that can assist you navigate the prep.
- Boil: Saute the onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Then you definately’ll add the veggies and broth and boil for about 10 to 15 minutes till it’s all tender.
- Mix: The ultimate step is to mix every little thing with chickpeas, coconut milk and pink curry paste. The chickpeas add physique to the soup and make it extra filling by including plant based mostly protein: it’s considered one of our favourite tips!
The key ingredient: Thai curry paste
The key to the flavour on this creamy curried butternut squash soup? Thai pink curry paste! Thai curry paste is a jarred paste that mixes flavors you’ll discover in Thai curry: garlic, lemongrass, ginger and extra. Seize a jar from the shop within the worldwide meals aisle, and it retains for months within the fridge. Some Thai curry pastes are spicy and a few don’t have an excessive amount of warmth.
Our favourite model of Thai curry paste is Thai Kitchen, and it doesn’t add a lot warmth to the general dish. Should you can’t discover it at your native grocery, right here’s a hyperlink to Thai Kitchen pink curry paste on Amazon.
Do I want an immersion blender?
Alex and I used our immersion blender for this soup. Do you want one? Not essentially. An immersion blender can also be known as a “stick blender” or hand blender. It’s helpful for making pureed soups and sauces. As a substitute of transferring sizzling soup to a blender after which again, you’ll be able to simply place the stick blender proper into the pot! The draw back? It may be messy, leaving little orange splatters throughout your kitchen! You possibly can simply use a standard blender as effectively.
Should you’re searching for one, right here’s the immersion blender we use! Immersion blender on Amazon.
Sides to serve with curried butternut squash soup
That’s all you want to know in regards to the methodology: now let’s discuss serving it! This curried butternut squash soup is tasty and hearty, and due to the blended chickpeas and coconut milk it’s extra filling than most blended soups. As a result of it has plant-based protein, you gained’t want so as to add as a lot to it to make it a meal as one thing like our Immediate Pot butternut squash soup.
Listed here are some concepts for find out how to serve with this curried butternut squash soup:
- Prime with crispy chickpeas.
- Serve with toast unfold with goat cheese.
- With pita pizzas: strive our Thai curry naan pizza.
- Use it as an appetizer for Spring Roll Noodle Bowl or Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai.
- Do-it-yourself croutons and roasted salted pepitas.
- As a lunch, selfmade crackers and slices of smoked gouda.
- Grilled cheese! Attempt our spinach artichoke grilled cheese.
- With beet salad with balsamic dressing. Or beet and apple salad.
- With vegan cornbread slathered with almond butter.
- With a hearty grain salad, like farro with mushrooms.
This recipe is…
Vegetarian, gluten-free, plant-based, dairy-free, and vegan.
This straightforward curried butternut squash soup recipe is ideal, creamy and seasoned with ginger and curry paste. Your seek for the perfect squash soup is over!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 4 medium carrots (1 cup chopped)
- 1 medium butternut squash (Four cups chopped)*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 cup full fats coconut milk, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tablespoons pink curry paste
- 3/Four teaspoon kosher salt
- Cilantro, for the garnish
- Cube the onion. Mince the ginger. Peel and chop the carrots. Cube the butternut squash.
- In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the onion and sauté till translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ginger, carrots, squash, vegetable broth and kosher salt and convey to a boil. Decrease to a simmer and prepare dinner till carrots are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the carrots are smooth, add the chickpeas, coconut milk, and pink curry paste, and punctiliously mix with an immersion blender (or in a blender) till the graceful. Style and regulate seasonings as desired.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges, and additional coconut milk if desired.
*As a time saver, substitute frozen cubed butternut squash.
- Class: Soup
- Technique: Stovetop
- Delicacies: Thai Impressed
Key phrases: Curried Butternut Squash Soup