This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure.
Peanut Butter. Almond Butter. Sunflower Butter. Coconut Butter. Soy Butter. Cashew butter. Walnut butter. Multi-nut butter. Nutella (or hazelnut butter). Diminished-fat. No-stir. Pure. Natural. Powdered. Which of those are the healthiest nut butter? This put up is your information to discovering the healthiest nut butter: The distinction between peanut, almond, sunflower, walnut, cashew, soy butters and which one is one of the best!
There are actually so many nut and seed butter choices on the market it could make your head spin.
And so lots of them declare to be wholesome, pure, low-calorie, an important different to peanut butter, and many others. that it may be complicated to determine which nut butter is truly the healthiest for you!
That’s the place this put up is available in 🙂
I’ve achieved the analysis and have discovered one of the best, healthiest, truly-good-for-you (and good tasting!) nut butters on the market, and these are the outcomes.
That is your information to discovering the healthiest nut butter for you and your loved ones!
To begin — is there a well being distinction between the classes of nut butter? For instance…
Is Almond Butter more healthy than Peanut Butter?
Peanut, Almond and Sunflower Butter are the healthiest – as lengthy because the model you purchase doesn’t embody processed substances, sugar, or stabilizers (extra on that in a sec). There are minor variations in vitamin/mineral content material between the three, however within the portions you’d eat them, it’s principally a wash. The most important variations are with style and allergy-related points.
The remainder of the nut butters will not be as wholesome (coconut, hazelnut, macadamia, pecan, walnut, cashew) — they’re all larger in fat and decrease in protein than almond/sunflower/peanut – so use these sparingly! Whereas the fat from these butters are wholesome, you’ll be able to have an excessive amount of of factor 🙂
Listed below are my Prime Eight Ideas for locating the healthiest nut butter:
#1 | The substances record must be quick. Two substances max for a single nut butter. The substances ought to actually simply be no matter nuts are within the butter (e.g. almonds), and salt (you can even get a no-salt model). So for an almond butter, you’re on the lookout for “Roasted almonds, salt” or “Uncooked almonds, salt” or simply “Almonds.” Identical for a peanut, cashew, walnut, sunflower seed or any nut butter you purchase.
#2 | Natural is nice, however the substances matter extra. In case your nut butter has the USDA natural seal on it, nice! But when that very same nut butter has “sugar, palm oil, and many others.” on the substances record, you’re higher off getting a non-organic nut butter that simply has “peanuts, salt” on the substances record.
#3 | No-stir is a BAD factor!! I can’t stress this sufficient. Firms put “no stir” on the entrance of the label prefer it’s a profit, however all which means is that some type of palm oil or hydrogenated oil has been added to the nut butter to make it shelf-stable. Nuts are primarily fats. Once you grind them up and retailer them, the fats ought to separate from the bottom up nuts. Stirring is an effective factor. So is refrigeration, which brings me to…
#4 | Nut butters ought to NOT be capable to sit out with out going rancid. Quite a lot of “no-stir” nut butters will also be stored within the pantry (non-refrigerated) when you open them. Once more, that is due to both hydrogenated oils or palm fruit oil preserving the nut butter – which suggests the nut butter is just too processed. Nut butters ought to have to be refrigerated after opening.
#5 | Keep away from these phrases on the label: honey/honey nut/honey roasted/honey flax, maple, flavored, vanilla, chocolate, nutella/hazelnut. Apart from the nuts/seeds, and salt, no different substances must be added. All these phrases imply is that the nut butter has tons of added sugar and is extra like a dessert than a nut butter must be.
#6 | Diminished-fat is BAD. Diminished fats peanut or almond butters principally have the very same energy as full-fat nut butter, however as a substitute, to decrease the fats content material, a ton of sugar and different processed substances (corn syrup solids anybody?) are added to present the nut butter the “really feel” of a full-fat model. Nuts have wholesome fat which might be good for you! Diminished-fat is dangerous. Full fats is sweet.
#7 | Sugar ought to NOT be on the substances record. Nuts are naturally candy. For those who see “sugar” or “syrup” on the substances record, don’t purchase that nut butter!
#8 | NO Palm Fruit Oil (or Palm Oil) and NO Hydrogenated Oils (or Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Partially Hydrogenated Oils) on the substances record. Why? See my notice on the finish of the put up.
And now: My Healthiest Nut Butter Shopping for Information!
Under are one of the best and the worst manufacturers for peanut butters, almond butters, nut butter options (peanut-free), peanut butter powders and reduced-fat nut butters.
The Greatest Peanut Butters
All of those varieties above have actually two substances: peanuts, salt. Since Nutzo is a nut butter mix, their substances are: natural roasted peanuts, natural roasted cashews, natural roasted almonds, natural roasted flax seeds, natural roasted brazil nuts, natural roasted hazelnuts, natural roasted sunflower seeds, sea salt (which as you’ll see – are simply the entire nuts/seeds and salt, so it’s nice!) Smucker’s was a pleasing shock. Even Smucker’s non natural model has these substances: Peanuts, 1% or much less of Salt. All of those choices have ~200 energy for two tbsp, ~16g fats, 1g sugar, and 7-8g protein.
The Worst Peanut Butters
- Skippy (Consists of all of their varieties together with Skippy Pure Peanut Butter)
- Jif (Consists of all of their varieties together with Jif Pure Peanut Butter and Merely Jif Peanut Butter)
- Peter Pan (Consists of all of their varieties together with their Whipped Peanut Butter)
- Justin’s (Consists of all of their varieties)
- Any “no-stir” or flavored peanut butter varieties (Word: a number of the manufacturers above have no-stir variations of their peanut butters and honey roasted/and many others. variations as effectively that must be prevented!)
Justin’s Traditional is misleading: the packaging seems prefer it must be wholesome, however the substances record has Palm Oil. And their “Honey” model has these substances: Dry Roasted Peanuts, Natural Honey Powder (Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Natural Honey), Palm Oil, Sea Salt. Not good!
Skippy Pure/Jif Pure are additionally misleading: the packaging seems prefer it must be wholesome, however the substances record has Sugar, and Palm Oil in it. Positively keep away from.
All of Skippy/Jif and Peter Pan’s common varieties have Sugar, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Cottonseed & Rapeseed), Honey, Molasses, and Partially Hydrogenated Oils between them. Keep away from in any respect prices!
The Greatest Almond Butters
These guys have two substances: almonds, salt. It’s nice! A 2 tbsp serving has about 190 energy, 17g fats, 2g sugar and 7g protein.
The Worst Almond Butters
- Barney Butter (All varieties)
- Justin’s Traditional Almond Butter (All varieties)
- Jif Creamy Almond Butter
- Any flavored(e.g. maple, honey, and many others.) or no-stir almond butters – together with these varieties from Complete Meals or MaraNatha
Barney Butter is misleading: Their packaging seems so wholesome, however their substances record at all times has Natural & Truthful Commerce Cane Sugar, and Palm Fruit Oil on it. I don’t care if the sugar is natural or fair-trade. Sugar is sugar, and shouldn’t be in nut butters 🙂 Justin’s Traditional has an identical challenge!
Jif Creamy Almond Butter has these substances added: Sugar, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed, Cottonseed and Soybean), Sunflower Oil. Not good!
Nut Butter Alternate options (Peanut-Free)
The Greatest Peanut-Free, Nut Butter Alternate options
All of those manufacturers are superb. SunButter natural has just one ingredient: Roasted natural sunflower seeds, which is nice! 2 tbsp runs you 220 energy, has 2g fiber, 1g sugar, 6g protein. Nutzo Energy Gas is superior as a result of it has: natural roasted cashews, natural roasted almonds, natural roasted brazil nuts, natural roasted flax seeds, natural roasted hazelnuts, natural roasted chia seeds, natural roasted pumpkin seeds, and sea salt. 2 tbsp = 180 energy, 3g fiber, 1g sugar, 6g protein.
Not Nice, However Not Horrible Nut Butter Alternate options
- Dealer Joe’s Sunflower Seed Butter
- Artisana Uncooked Coconut Butter
My most important challenge with Dealer Joe’s sunbutter is that they add sugar to it. So a 2 tbsp serving finally ends up with 3g sugar as a substitute of 1g or <1g. Apart from that their sunbutter simply has sunflower seeds + salt, so it’s not perfect due to the sugar however not horrible. Coconut Butter is actually simply floor up coconut. Artisana’s model actually simply has one ingredient: coconut. In that sense, it’s good. However coconut butter has nearly no protein (2g per 2 tbsp) — so it gained’t be as filling as a standard nut butter.
The Worst Nut Butter Alternate options
- I.M. Wholesome Soy Nut Butter
Nutella is marketed as this wholesome breakfast “nut butter” unfold, however it’s actually a sweet bar in a jar. Listed below are the substances: Sugar, modified palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skimmed milk powder, whey powder, lecithin, and vanillin. The primary ingredient is sugar! 2 tbsp of Nutella has 200 energy, 1g fiber, 21g sugar (greater than a Snicker’s bar) and 3g protein. Keep away from this!
I.M. Wholesome Soy Nut Butter has Roasted Soybeans (Non-GMO), Naturally Pressed Soy Bean Oil, Granulated Cane Sugar, Maltodextrin, Palm Oil, Salt. Every part highlighted in crimson is why you need to keep away from this nut butter. If it was simply soybeans and salt, it might be okay! The remainder of these substances are pointless.
Powdered / Low-Calorie Peanut Butter
Generally, I’m not an enormous fan of powdered peanut butter as a substitute for normal peanut butter – as a result of it simply doesn’t style the identical and has a bizarre texture when blended with water. That mentioned, powdered peanut butter can work nice in smoothies, curry sauces, cooked dishes, and many others. Or, you’ll be able to combine it with common peanut butter so as to add a protein punch to your Peanut Butter sandwich.
The Greatest Powdered Peanut Butter
The Worst Powdered Peanut Butter
- PB2 (2 tbsp = 45 energy, 2g fiber, 1g sugar, 5g protein): Elements — Roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt. My most important challenge with PB2 is that they add sugar to their peanut powder. It’s not wanted!
- Higher N’ Peanut Butter (2 tbsp = 100 energy, 2g sugar, 4g protein, 2g fiber): Elements — Peanuts (as defatted peanut flour and pure peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, pure meals flavors, paprika & annato (for colour), calcium carbonate, lecithin, nutritional vitamins E & C. Nearly all of substances in Higher N’ Peanut Butter are completely pointless, and are added to make the product style and really feel similar to common peanut butter.
Diminished Fats Peanut Butters
By no means purchase reduced-fat nut butter. Right here’s why:
Simply take a look at the substances record for Skippy Diminished Fats: Roasted Peanuts, Corn Syrup Solids, Sugar, Soy Protein Focus, Salt, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed, Soybean and Rapeseed Oil) To Stop Separation, Mono- and Diglycerides, Minerals (Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferric Orthophosphate, Copper Sulfate), Nutritional vitamins (Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid). It’s a far cry from “peanuts, salt.”
Why do you have to keep away from Palm Oil and Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (or partially hydrogenated oils) in nut butters?
- They’re preservatives and stabilizers. They’re added to reinforce the shelf lifetime of the nut butter (which actually is already tremendous lengthy when refrigerated – it doesn’t have to be enhanced).
- Partially hydrogenated oils include trans fat which have been linked to coronary heart illness.
- Absolutely hydrogenated oils are nonetheless dangerous for you in that they’re very excessive in processed, saturated fat that are mixed with vegetable oils to create a substance similar to partially hydrogenated oils. I keep away from them as a result of they’re pointless and the proof is inconclusive on whether or not they contribute to coronary heart illness (supply). And albeit, they haven’t any place in a nut butter.
- Palm oil, whereas not as dangerous as totally hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils – continues to be a preservative added to maintain the nut butter from separating (e.g. “no-stir”). The FDA warned lately that “palm oil will not be a wholesome substitute for trans-fats” as a result of a authorities research confirmed that the saturated fatty acids present in palm oil “are related to elevated heart-disease threat elements.” The World Well being Group got here to an identical conclusion. (supply).
So Backside Line: Select Almond, Peanut or Sunflower Butter, (or a blended nut butter that features all 3), and make it possible for the substances record simply has the names of the nuts included and salt. No sugar, no added oils, nothing else. For allergy-safe lunches, Sunflower Butter is the only option.
For those who’re on the lookout for extra grocery ideas, try these useful guides
I hope this put up helps you discover one of the best nut butter for you and your loved ones! And to sum all of it up, right here’s a helpful infographic which you could print out and take with you if you’re grocery procuring!