Key lime pie and all issues tart citrus have all the time been favorites in my household. After I was little, my Mother and I might typically purchase truffles at a counter in a division retailer within the Mall, and it was normally the important thing lime flavored ones. One time the clerk stated that she did not know why we appreciated them a lot, as a result of she thought they had been too tart, however quite the opposite we thought they had been good! Typically occasions I really feel like citrus desserts have manner an excessive amount of candy to counteract the tart however what I like is a stability of the 2. After I make my key lime pies I typically occasions use rather less sweetener for that cause. I really like tart lime!
So final week once I had a bag of limes readily available and was making an attempt to determine what to make, lime curd bars got here to thoughts. I’ve additionally all the time had a love for these lemon curd bars, so I figured why not make them within the trend? I’ve by no means made lime curd bars earlier than, so it was extra thrilling too. For the crust I made a shortbread cookie dough, and pre-baked it earlier than including the filling on high of it so it could be good and crispy to distinction the filling. I used complete wheat pastry flour blended with a bit tapioca starch to lighten it however should you wished to make these gluten free, you might swap it out for gluten free all goal baking flour (I like to recommend Bob’s Pink Mill).
For the filling, I used loads of lime juice and zest, with coconut cream to make it good and wealthy since there could be no dairy or eggs on this, and mixed it with a bit maple syrup and vanilla to sweeten it. I thickened it with corn starch which labored out slick and also you simply pour the filling into the crust and let it earlier than having fun with.
Lastly since conventional citrus bars are topped off with a powdered sugar topping I wished these to look simply as fairly so I made a coconut “powdered sugar” mud. It is not tremendous candy like precise powdered sugar however it’s fairly and goes properly with the lime. For those who space fan of citrus curd bars, undoubtedly give these a attempt!
Vegan Key Lime Curd Bars
- 1 1/2 cups natural complete wheat pastry flour*
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (or cornstarch would work as properly)
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/four tsp sea salt
- 1/four cup melted coconut oil
- 1/four cup plus 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or different impartial oil liquid at cool temperatures)
- 3/four cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/four cups canned coconut cream
- 1/four cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/four tsp spinach powder (for shade, elective)
- 1/four tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/four cup finely shredded, dried unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350F levels, and line an 8×8 inch sq. pan with parchment paper (in order that it goes up the edges too).
- To make the crust, combine all substances collectively in a bowl till mixed, then press into the backside of the ready pan.
- Place the pan within the oven and bake for 20 minutes or till set and frivolously browned. Take away from oven.
- To make the filling, mix all substances in a sauce pan, besides the vanilla extract, and whisk to dissolve the cornstarch. Place on the range over medium warmth, whisking always till it’s beginning to thicken. When it begins to thicken prepare dinner for a minute or two, till it’s thickened to the consistency of pudding, then whisk within the vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling over the ready crust, and let cool utterly, then refrigerate for a number of hours till utterly chilled.
- Buzz the coconut in a blender till it’s superb like flour, then mud the tops of the bars with it by placing it in a superb meshed strainer and tapping it over them.
- Lower into 16 bars.
Retailer any further bars within the fridge in an hermetic container.
*For those who wished to make these gluten free, you might use Bob’s Pink Mill gluten free all goal baking flour as a substitute of the pastry flour.