I enjoy a fantastic rice bowl and I’m getting that far more generally than not, I’m most satisfied when it is topped with vegetables and a handful of crispy tofu. This recipe is a strong addition to your weeknight meals.
Bok choy is 1 of my favored plants to watch develop. I enjoy how concise the plant is when generating stunning green leaves. Nonetheless, I do not use it as generally as I really should, mainly simply because I maintain greens on hand that I can use each raw and cooked. If you want to use a thing you may possibly currently have on hand, attempt wilting chard or kale in spot of the bok choy. I come across this is just as scrumptious and yet another fantastic way to consume your leafy greens.
A single note: I cook the bok choy in this recipe so that the greens are soft but the stems nonetheless have really a bit of texture. If you want comparable texture for the leaves and stems, separate them and slice them into comparable-sized pieces. Cook the stems till just tender then add the leave and cook till just wilted.
I went with rice but the beauty of this crispy tofu bowl is that any grain will seriously do. I’ve been recognized to consume this mixture on sorghum, quinoa, or millet. You could also drop the rice and consume the bok choy and tofu more than noodles.
Crispy Tofu, for the win
Offered that I nonetheless do not consume a lot of tofu, I rely on close friends for recipes that I know operate. I employed this crispy tofu recipe from The Initial Mess. I do not alter it 1 bit which is why you will need to have to head to her internet site for the recipe.
Lastly, this recipe is not overly sauced. I appear at the sauce as far more of a glaze for the bok choy. If you are wanting to make this recipe with a strong quantity of sauce, I advise doubling the liquids you place into the pan immediately after you cook the bok choy. You could also branch and make a separate sauce, like this homemade teriyaki sauce.
A fantastic excuse to choose up these stunning searching bok choy and make them the star of your dinner. Preserve this vegan by omitting or replacing the honey.
Rice + Tofu
1 cup brief grain brown rice
1 recipe for crispy tofu
two smaller heads of bok choy
1 tablespoon neutral oil
1/four cup soy sauce
two tablespoons honey
two tablespoons rice vinegar
½ teaspoon sesame seeds
Chili Oil or Crushed Red Pepper
- Combine the rice with two cups of water. Bring to a boil, decrease to a simmer, cover, and let cook till the rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- When the rice is cooking, make the tofu and the bok choy. For the tofu, I followed these guidelines (and you really should as well).
- For the bok choy, heat a pan (that can be covered with a lid) more than medium-higher heat. Slice the bok choy in quarters, length-sensible. Rinse effectively to take away any dirt caught in the stems, just be cautious not to completely separate the stems.
- Add the oil followed by the bok choy. Cook just till a good sear develops on the stems and the greens are beginning to brown. Turn heat to low, add about three tablespoons of water, cover, and let steam for a couple of minutes. The greens will commence to wilt and the stems will soften slightly. After there, take away the lid and add the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds. Spoon to coat the bok choy and cook for a minute or two far more.
- When prepared, assemble the bowls with the rice, crispy tofu, bok choy, and a smaller drizzle of the sauce left in the pan. Serve with soy sauce, further sesame seeds, and chili paste if preferred.
As noted in the post, the stems remain quite crunchy in this version. If you are searching for a far more even texture, separate the stems from the leaves then cook the stems 1st, till tender.
Key phrases: crispy tofu, rice bowl, bok choy