Post sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. See below for more details.
As we prepare for Mack to head to school, I’ve been working on my tiny-finger lunch game. He’s a solid eater but I do like having fun options. Plus, these vegetable crepes aren’t just for kids. I love to pack these cream cheese roll-ups for car trips and hiking trips.
Why Crepes for Cream Cheese Roll-ups?
I love a good lunch sandwich but sometimes we don’t have bread or I like something a little lighter. These crepes are easy to make once you get the hang of the pan swirl and best of all, you can make large batches to freeze.
Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Flour
One of the other reasons I love crepes: they are super easy to make with alternative flours. Whole wheat is my go-to which is why I was excited to make these crepes with Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat flour. Of course, you could always switch it up and use all-purpose or even oats (like in these other savory crepes I’ve made!)
While there are some brands of vegan cream cheese, which you could easily use, I prefer to mix it up a bit. My favorite way to make these vegan is use a good hummus. The hummus works well with the herbs. Other options include roasted garlic, roasted red pepper, and/or sun dried tomatoes.
Finally, when it comes to the vegetables, use whatever you have on hand. These wraps are forgiving and really work with anything. Beyond the fresh vegetables, roasted vegetables or grilled vegetables work as well. I find these whole wheat crepes can really go any direction you might want to take them.
½ cup white whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons fresh minced dill
2 tablespoons fresh minced flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh minced chives
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 ½ cups shredded carrots
1 ½ cups shredded cucumbers
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup minced bell pepper
1/2 cup minced red onions
2 cups chopped spinach
- Whisk together flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. Alternatively, combine everything in a blender and puree until well combined.
- Heat 8″ skillet over medium-low heat and lightly grease with butter. Place a scant ¼ cup of batter in pan. Tilt/swirl the pan so that the batter covers the entire bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Cook for about 30 to 60 seconds, until the edges begin to peel away from the sides of the pan and look golden. Flip and cook for another 20 to 30 seconds. Adjust heat higher/lower depending on how fast the crepe is cooking. Layer done crepes, slightly overlapping, on a plate or wax paper.
- To make the cream cheese, whip together the room-temp cream cheese with the herbs, salt, and pepper. Add a splash or two of milk as needed to thin enough that the cream cheese is easily spreadable.
- Next, prep the vegetables as needed. Once the crepes are done, spread a thin layer of cream cheese over the crepe and top with a sprinkle of the vegetables and spinach. Roll and slice as desired: into bite-sized pieces for kid friendly or in half for a nice adult version.
I like to cook-up all the crepes but freeze about half for later use (or the opposite route, double the crepe recipe and freeze as well). You can use these crepes for so much more!
Keywords: cream cheese roll-ups
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. All thoughts and opinions are my own. It’s content like this that helps me keep this site running to provide the vegetarian recipes you see every week.